TELUS (TSX: T, T.A; NYSE: TU) is a leading national telecommunications company in Canada, with $10.5 billion of annual revenue and 12.7 million customer connections including 7.4 million wireless subscribers, 3.5 million wireline network access lines and 1.3 million Internet subscribers and more than 550,000 TELUS TV customers. Led since 2000 by President and CEO, Darren Entwistle, TELUS provides a wide range of communications products and services including wireless, data, Internet protocol (IP), voice, television, entertainment and video.
In support of our philosophy to give where we live, TELUS, our team members and retirees have contributed more than $260 million to charitable and not-for-profit organizations and volunteered 4.2 million hours of service to local communities since 2000. Eleven TELUS Community Boards across Canada lead TELUS’ local philanthropic initiatives. TELUS was honoured to be named the most outstanding philanthropic corporation globally for 2010 by the Association of Fundraising Professionals, becoming the first Canadian company to receive this prestigious international recognition.
For more information about TELUS, please visit telus.com.
TELUS the investor, taxpayer and employer
- $20.1 billion was invested in technology and operations in Ontario since the year 2000. This significant commitment is bringing the benefits of one of the world’s most advanced wireless networks to more people in the province.
- The fastest and biggest wireless network** in Ottawa. The HSPA+ network enables speeds of up to 21 Mbps*** (up to 42 Mbps in certain urban areas) and reaches 95 per cent of Canada’s population.
- $31,454 in property and business taxes was paid by TELUS in Ottawa.
- 399 highly skilled TELUS team members work in the greater Ottawa area.
- 24 TELUS leaders call the greater Ottawa area home.
TELUS the environmental steward
- 60,121 trees were planted through our partnership with Tree Canada in 2010.
- 156,150 wireless handsets were recycled in 2010.
TELUS the community builder
- $2.4 million has been contributed to charitable and community organizations in Ottawa through the TELUS charitable giving program and our volunteer rewards program from 2000 to the end of 2010.
- $494,037 has been contributed to charitable and community organizations in Ottawa through the TELUS charitable giving program and our volunteer rewards program in 2010.
- 24,836 volunteer hours will have been provided to charitable and community organizations in Ottawa by TELUS team members and retirees from 2000 to the end of 2010.
- 5,603 volunteer hours have been provided to charitable and community organizations in Ottawa by TELUS team members and retirees in 2010.
- $25 million was donated to 1,883 local grassroots charities across Canada since 2005 through the TELUS Community Boards in Victoria, Vancouver, Edmonton, Calgary, Toronto, Ottawa, Montreal, Rimouski and Atlantic Canada.
- $400,000 was donated to 30 community projects by the TELUS Community Board in Ottawa in 2010, including support for programs with organizations such as Child and Youth Friendly Ottawa, Youth Services Bureau of Ottawa, The Leading Note Foundation, Big Brother’s Big Sister’s of Ottawa, Dave Smith Youth Treatment Centre, Ottawa Children’s Treatment Centre.
- TELUS supports The Ottawa Humane Society, the Ottawa Regional Cancer Foundation, the Children’s Hospital of Eastern Ontario, the Great Canadian Theatre Company, Media Awareness Network, The Ottawa Hospital, the Victorian Order of Nurses and Royal Ottawa Health Care Centre Foundation.
- 5,442 care items were donated by members of 5 TELUS Community Ambassador clubs in Ontario. These items included Comfort Kits, Kits for Kids and knit blankets and mittens.
For more information go to telus.com/community
- Progressive Employers of Canada – March 2010
- Recognition Professionals International Best Practice Standards Awards – April 2010
- Freeman Philanthropic Services Award for Outstanding Corporation – April 2010
- Global Telecoms Business Innovation Award – June 2010
- Annual Report on Annual Reports – September 2010
- Carbon Disclosure Leader – October 2010
- Top 100 Employers – November 2010
- National Philanthropy Business Leader Award – November 2010
- Brand of the Year – November 2010
- Canada’s Top 100 Corporate R&D Spenders – November 2010
- Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants awards for corporate reporting – November 2010
For more information go to telus.com/awards
* Revised as of April 2011.
** Comparing HSPA/HSPA+ national networks: “fastest” according to tests of data throughput speeds in large Canadian urban centres and “biggest” based on population covered.
*** Based on manufacturers' rated download speeds. Compatible device required. Actual speed may vary by device being used, topography and environmental conditions, network congestion, signal strength, and other factors.